- Little League cannot survive without the help of dedicated volunteers. Regardless of your baseball experience, there is always a need for your time and talents. As volunteers, it is our responsibility to ensure that we provide the best possible program for our children. Please review the volunteer opportunities that the League offers and determine where you might be able to contribute.
- Signing up for volunteer time is EASY. You can sign up for many of the volunteer programs during registration. You will also have the opportunity at your Team Parent Meeting or during the season to sign up for volunteer time at the snack bar.
- All Volunteers must fill out and turn in this application: Volunteer Application
One of the main goals of the Escondido National Little League Board is to encourage participation in Little League Baseball, and one of the key ingredients to a successful year in Little League is volunteer support.
- We have listed the most common areas that each team will need help in managing and organizing their team for the upcoming season. Please review the list during registration. We have also listed a brief description and estimated time requirement for each position.
Please feel free to contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
- TEAM MANAGER — This position is the team lead in charge of team players, assistant coaches, and all communications between the League and parents regarding schedules, changes, rainouts and Escondido National Little League events. Managers are responsible for player instruction and development of proper baseball skills, produce player lineups and provide overall player support and encouragement. Managers also help secure team parent, team scorekeeper and field maintenance persons (when applicable). Upper division time commitment (Juniors through Minor A) is upwards of 7-10 hours a week. Lower division (Minor B through T-Ball) is anywhere from 2-5 hours per week.
Managers are subject to board approval and are not guaranteed a coaching position from year to year. This position also requires attendance at Manager and Umpire meetings and instructional coaching clinics.
- ASSISTANT COACH — This position assists the Manager with anything involving team practices, player organization, skill building, game operations, equipment handling, team jersey distribution and general player and team support. This position also needs to assist the field maintenance person(s) with field setup and break down before and after games.
- TEAM PARENT — This position assists the Manager and coaches with parent and team communications and general team support. The Team Parent role will also work with the League Volunteer Coordinator to track volunteer needs, requirements and fulfillment for that team.
Team parent role can include:
-Obtaining and distributing the team roster
-Sending out team communications to parents (re: special events, game or practice changes, parties)
-Organizing a snack schedule (if agreed by team)
-Planning the team’s end of season party
-Organizing player trophies or appropriate coaches’ gifts
-Organizing and tracking volunteers among the team to cover snack bar commitments
- FIELD MAINTENANCE — This position will be responsible for maintaining the fields for your team before and after games. If needed, it is beneficial to solicit additional help from team parents as well.
-Relay and act as trainer to parents that sign up to help out
-Assist at pre-season Field Improvement Events
-Manage and perform all pre-game and post-game field maintenance duties (home team)
-Remove all litter, team and spectator, and place in trash containers
-Put out and remove bases and plugs and store in field lockers (if last game of the day)
-Drag infield area avoiding contact with the grass
-Rake, fill and tamp batter box and pitcher mound
-Clean and sweep dugouts
-Set up and put bases away (if first or last game).
- SCOREKEEPER/PITCH COUNTER – Minor A, Majors, 50/70 and Juniors only
This position is required to attend and keep score or pitch count at each game according to the team schedule. It is also helpful to solicit additional help from team parents for backup.
Duties may include:
-The Home team must provide the Scorekeeper to keep Official Score Book for that game
-The away team must provide the pitch counter to keep the official pitch count log
-Arrive to field 15 minutes before game time begins
-Keep score – track the pitch count, hits, walks and errors
-Have the plate umpire sign the Official Score Book
-Return Official Score Book to the snack bar after the game
- SNACK BAR VOLUNTEERS: 1 – 2 hour shifts — The Snack bars are located at Mountain View Park and Hidden Valley Middle School. They open for each scheduled game during the season. This position works as a team with 1-2 other volunteers per each shift.
-There will always be one board member present in the Snack Bar.
-Children under the age of 16 are not permitted in the Snack Bar unless on the approved list held in the snack bar. To get approved, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
-Register for shifts on the Escondido National Little League website. You will receive an email reminder the day before your shift
-Duties to include: Selling food and drinks at the counter, and cleanup.
-Parents may choose to work shifts other than when their teams are playing – allowing parents to reach the volunteer minimum
Volunteer positions are required to fill out the volunteer application found on the Escondido National Little League website, and are subject to a background check. An application must be filled out in the Volunteer section and signature applied. A copy of your photo ID must also be scanned and mailed along with your signed volunteer form and emailed or given to Escondido National Little League before you can volunteer.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
We are always in need of people from the community to become involved. Most of what happens around the league is done by volunteers and each and everyone one of our volunteers is a very important part of the process. If you would be willing to volunteer your time with coaching, umpiring, field work, keeping statistics (books, pitch counts, etc.), “Team Mom”, or any other area please fill out and submit the form below. In addition to submitting the following electronic form showing your interest, you can also print below the volunteer form that is required to be on file for anyone that will have contact with the children on the field. This Volunteer Application is required by the Little League Association and is in the best interest of the children. Your interest will be passed on to that area’s coordinator and they will be in contact with you.